Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Favorite TV show


My last blog was about whether or not I should expand our channel selection or cut it off completely.  That got me thinking.  What would I miss if I shut off the TV and what are some of my favorite shows?

I grew up as with the TV as a babysitter to some degree.  I don't recall my Mom using it as a crutch when we were really young, but after we went to school and she went to work full-time the TV became our after school babysitter.  I remember watching a lot of Gilligans Island, I Dream of Jeannie, Hogan's Heroes, and the Brady Bunch as they seemed to dominate the hours between school and when my parents got home.  As far as evening programming not to much stand out in my memory other than Gunsmoke, Manix and Hill Street Blues.   Oooh oh oh now the memory cells are firing.  Welcome Back Kotter.....Man from U.N.C.L.E.....Batman....Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.....Star Trek....Twilight Zone......The Night Stalker....Dark Shadows (freaked me out, that was a daytime soap my Mom watched when I was younger, it had vampires and for many years I went to sleep clutching covers to my neck - even when it was 90+ degrees at night!).  Wow, I guess I'm more of a TV junkie than I was thinking.  It was probably a good thing we moved out to the country when I was 9 or so - out there we only got ONE channel.  No flipping (no remote!)  Little House on the Prairie, Lawrence Welk and Disney dominate my memory of those years.

What are your memories of TV when you were growing up?

1 comment:

  1. As I am much older--I remember Bonanza, Gunsmoke, but also The Lone Ranger, Fury, Sky King, and Father Knows Best. Grandma watched I Love Lucy in the morning, and if I wasn't in school I watched that too. Really like to watch Hollywood Squares too.

    ReplyDelete