Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics (combat figure skating?)

I'm probably in the minority, but the opening ceremony of the Olympics does ZERO for me.  What is the big deal?  Granted, I don't care for parades or the circus either and the opening ceremony of the Olympics reminds me of a combination of the two.  I did not watch the ceremony last night as we were at a basketball game, but I honestly didn't miss it at all.  (What I enjoyed most about the opening ceremony was Scott Tabako Jr's comment on Facebook and our subsequent exchange of comments.)

I used to really look forward to the Olympics, but in recent years not so much.  I feel the Olympics has been cheapened by letting professional athletes compete.  I don't want to see the professional hockey or basketball players in the Olympics - we see them everyday during their seasons.  I want to see the next professional, the nobody who gets an opportunity to surprise everyone and make a name for themselves. 

I do enjoy watching the speed skating, downhill skiing, ski jumping, luge and bobsled events. These are events that you don't see everyday or every year.  I'm not a fan of the snowboarding or mogul events because you see them every year with the X-Games (actually, I don't, because I don't watch them either).   I'm not at all interested in the figure skating.....maybe if they put two or three competitors/teams on the ice at the same time - combat figure skating, then I'd start watching.

What do you like about the winter Olympics?

What do you not like about the winter Olympics?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE figure skating and ice dancing--lovely, graceful, and really, really hard to do!!! Try it!!! But I agree that the Olympics is no longer fun to watch. You just see the bits and pieces the network chooses as highlights. In the 80s it was on all day and night until it was over. You could watch all the competitors--our whole family got into it. Now, it's just another sports show.

    ReplyDelete