Saturday, January 16, 2010

Listening to books



Thanks to my parents, my Mother in particular (sorry Dad, I never saw you read other than magazines in the "library"), I have been and still am an avid reader.  So much so, that my wife complains about how many books I have (well over 300 and I'm currently reading The Ragamuffin Gospel, Uncommon, Undaunted Courage and One Month To Live - the books are each in a different room so I pick them up and read them whenever I get time).  I read quite a variety of genres (except for the romance/love genre - no Nicolas Sparks for me thank you).  Early after getting married and having children my reading dropped significantly because I need quiet or at the very least no one interrupting me.  I missed reading, but didn't know what to do - I couldn't stop being a Dad.  Several years later I was complaining, er, calmly expressing my opinion, regarding my frustration with the radio stations I was listening to during my 30+ minutes  of commuting each morning and night.  Sharon, my lovely, gorgeous and very intelligent wife (no, I'm not buttering up, she doesn't read this) suggested that I listen to books on CD.  "Pish Posh", I responded.  "You can't LISTEN to books, you have to READ them!".  Sharon, not being much of a reader, had for quite some time been listening to books and enjoying them.  While I thought it was quite silly, I didn't discourage her.  Well after some time, and more agony listening to commercial after commercial or the same song multiple time a day I decided to give her wacky suggestion a try.  You know what....I quite enjoyed the experience!!  I'm hooked now.  I get withdrawals if I don't have a book on CD or tape in the vehicle when I'm driving.  I've listened to so many books I've lost count.  Many of them I probably would have never read the conventional way, but listening to them it was easy.  Here are a few of the books I've listened to:










Do you listen to books on CD or tape?

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to set aside time to read but unfortunately my life's too busy at this point and then my eyesight is slowly deteriorating - soon enough I'll be needing bifocals, I imagine.

    Never heard of books on CD's. Glad you mention this Terry. Where can you get them, loaners from the library or do you need to buy them new from the store, used off the internet? Can't imagine myself cluttering up my home any further than it already is, but for the 10 or so minutes of drive-time back/forth to work and/or out and about doing errands, to college, etc... would be better than flipping through channels on the radio(which is dangerous too, mind you)

    Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

    KimmersMN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'd probably need to listen to the CD ones, as I don't have a cassette hooked up in my vehicle. I suppose I could get a portable one, huh?
    KimmersMN

    ReplyDelete
  3. The majority of books that I've listened are ones that I've checked out from the library for FREE. I love our regional library system. I'm able to go online, do searches (for author, title, subject, etc.) and if my local branch doesn't have the book available I can have it sent up and they will notify me when it comes in. I highly recommend it. A few books on CD I've picked up on garage sales and I've actually purchased one or two (but they are expensive if you don't get them on sale).

    I suggest that if you don't have a library card that you get one and start that way. No fuss no muss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have recently started checking out books on CD from the library- for the exact same reason Terry said. I have about a 30 min drive back and forth to work each day and I got tired of listening to the same songs everyday... even talk radio started to say the same thing everyday.

    The problem I have no is that I'm always late...because I sit in my car and listen to the story until I get to a good stopping point...

    ReplyDelete