Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mmmmmm Mongo's

Ungh, I'm so full I can hardly type.  After weeks of waiting my family celebrated with me at Mongo's Grill in St. Cloud.  I love that place.  Not the cheapest place to eat, but very very delicious.  What I love about it is that you create your own dish.  They've got a terrific selection of items (vegetables, meats, noodles, sauces).  Mmmmmmm.

After I completed my Graduate Certificate in Chemical Dependency Counseling I told my wife that I wanted to celebrate at Mongo's, but it was hectic, Thanksgiving was soon approaching so I decided to wait.....until after I passed my state LADC test.....which I did, but again, things didn't work out.  So then I decided that once I was hired we'd go....that came and went.  Last week I received my first official paycheck so once again, I wanted to celebrate.  Finally, tonight there weren't any other conflicts and we were able to go.  I guess I'll have to say it was worth the wait, but honestly, I wish we had been able to go on each occassion!!

What is your favorite place to go to when you want to celebrate something?

p.s.  it would be nice if at the end of your post you would type at least your first name, maybe last initial, it makes it easier to respond if I know who I'm responding to.  Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. I know the feeling you're going through. I tend to overeat and try to get my money's worth when eating out. I've never gone to Mongo's Grill, and hardly make it to St. Cloud. Do they have a vegetarian type platter? I've eaten at The Country Buffet. Used to eat there all the time while pregnant(back in the early 80's) on my way to a horse sale in Princeton. Was so full, wondered if the baby had enough room. Glad you could fulfill the dream of eating there though.

    I love going to Ted-N-Gen's in Aldrich but any Chinese place is up for grabs, and/or Buffet style restauarant. But I guess if I needed to celebrate, my favorite cook is the hubby and my favorite meal is anything he makes, which I don't have to cook and/or clean up afterwards. lol

    KimmersMN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted and Gens is the place for me. THE best BBQ ribs on earth as far as I'm concerned. The Olive Garden is the place to go in St. Cloud. I'll have to try Mango's sometime though. By the way, I want to suggest a cartoon series that I hope you will love as much as my family does. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Coborn's video in LF has it for rent...we especially love the episode with "Cheese". Let me know what you think.
    Kate the Great, LF, MN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poncho & Lefty's is one that immediatly comes to mind. Great Macho Nacho's and a Huge Strawberry/Lime twirl Margaritta! YUMMY! The kids all LOVE the old Country Buffet in St.Cloud when we go with them all (which is not very often)
    Stacey (the sister who showed Kate how to be the Great) Bertha,MN

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Olive Garden is my all-time favorite, but I also love The Great Wall. (And yes, we stuff ourselves silly every time!)
    Mel (the sister who doesn't have to claim the greatness that is rightfully mine)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been years since I've been to Ten'N'Gen's for their BBQ ribs. We used to go there every so often when I was growing up (70's-80's). I remember they used to serve pickled gizzard on their appetizer tray. Didn't like them at first, but would love to have some now.

    Poncho and Lefty's is good, but I like Mexican Village in St. Cloud. The downtown location, not the one by Byerly's. For Chinese Buffet I like the Great Dragon in St. Cloud.

    I also like the Olive Garden - great breadsticks and salad. We can only afford to go there once in a great while.

    I'm still in search of a really good Korean restaurant in Minnesota. We've tried a few, the Shila was pretty good, but I'm searching for a better one.

    For pizza Godfather's is my favorite. I was very sad when they closed the Godfather's here in Little Falls. My family also really likes Tower Pizza in Staples.

    My Dad and my sons Nick and Alex love Famous Dave's, but I think everything tastes the same. Very good, I agree, but a little much for me.

    I went to Burger Time for lunch the other day and was impressed. Anybody recommend any other places for lunch in St. Cloud?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go to Mongo's!!!
    We used to go to Ted & Gen's most of the time when we "went out" to eat. But while the building seemed to stay the same (or deteriorate) the food wasn't the same. Maybe it has improved again. I do remember eating there and when the waitress walked by (a regular size person) the whole floor would shake. I wondered if anyone ever fell through the rotten boards. The ribs were great then. But now we are spoiled by having lots of choices, the main one being Famous Daves. Hmmm, let's go there!! JF

    ReplyDelete